The Shiraz proves that rustic charm and contemporary living can be a match made in heaven, wherever you want to build.
We’ve teamed traditional touches and cottage-inspired character with big, neatly zoned spaces in this charming four-bedroom home, which is on display in Millbridge, near Bunbury. (If you’re not local, then what better excuse to plan a South West mini-break!)
Weatherboards, restoration-red brickwork, a wide verandah, French doors and Shaker-style kitchen cabinets … the Shiraz is everything you picture it should be. And more.
Needless to say, our traditional-meets-contemporary combo has been appealing to a wide range of buyers, not just those building on 17m-wide lots in and around Bunbury and the South West.
“The Shiraz has character and personality, while still delivering all the light-filled open-plan spaces, big bedrooms, and extra living and entertaining rooms we know family buyers look for,” says Dave Clynk, our design captain.
“While it certainly has big appeal for homebuyers in the South West who typically have bigger blocks to build on, this home is also a great choice for those slightly wider lots that can still be found in the metro area,” he says.
Here are 7 good reasons we think the Shiraz is a top pick:
1. Space for everyone. As one of WA’s most experienced builders, we know that tastes may change, but space is often a non-negotiable for busy families – especially space that gives parents and kids their own ‘zones’. The Shiraz boasts a study, kids’ activity room and home theatre, plus a games room set up as an adult retreat off the main living area. It means there are dedicated areas for a variety of activities, whether it’s watching a movie, tackling school assignments or running a home-based business.
2. Easy to switch styles. Weatherboards, traditional roof detailing and a wide veranda help give the Shiraz strong street appeal. It’s a look that can also be switched to ‘coastal’ very quickly simply by changing the colour palette.
3. A great entertainer. The central kitchen, living area, dining room, alfresco and games room is perfect for any party. “The Shiraz is spacious, functional and stylish, with room to spread out in. It’s one of the great entertainers,” Dave says.
4. Indoor/outdoor connection. We’ve made sure the Shiraz has that all-important indoor/outdoor connection, with sliding doors to the alfresco from the dining room, and double French doors opening up the elegant games room to the extended rear deck. There’s access to the outdoors from the master suite, too.
5. Contemporary kitchen. Mixing subtle country character with sleek contemporary styling, the kitchen includes overhead cupboards, a big walk-in pantry, wide stainless steel cooking appliances, a wine rack, a large fridge/freezer recess and space for a drinks fridge tucked into the end of the breakfast bar. The lines are clean and uncomplicated, but the hints of country styling help give the kitchen its welcoming, relaxed vibe.
6. Parents’ retreat. Part of a parents’ zone that also includes the study and home theatre, the master bedroom has been tucked away from the street. Sliding doors open up to the gardens and outdoor entertaining area, while the deluxe ensuite includes a bath, large shower and double vanities.
7. Easy to switch to brick. With a choice of building methods in mind, we’ve built this display home using framed construction, but the design is also available as a double-brick option.
The Shiraz floor plan delivers 320sqm of home.